This week’s tip features a website that is fun for kids and adults. Using this site, you can create a time capsule for any day in history — a birthday or anniversary perhaps:
This Day in History
- Go to: http://dmarie.com/timecap/
- Enter your birthday (or any date).
- Click the Quick Page* button.
- This will return a page with headlines, songs, prices, and other information for that day, week, or year.
- At the top of the page, you’ll find a link to open a printable version.
* If you click the Advanced Page button, a wizard will allow you to choose specific events for the selected date. You can edit the information or even add your own!
Extensions for the classroom. Students can:
- find out what happened the day they were born.
- chart the price of bread over a given period of time
- compare prices from the day they were born to prices from the day the teacher (or a parent) was born.
- do some research about someone who shares their birthday
- use the information in an “All About Me” presentation or an autobiography.
- print and use as a gift for someone’s birthday or anniversary.